Bristol Iron Works
The marker for Bristol Iron Works( J-64) is located a short distance south from the actual site. Bristol Iron Works is located along the river. This operation was owned and funded by John King and Company from Bristol, England and established in 1721 by John Tayloe, John Lomax, and associated for the purposes of mining and trading. The works, which were on the Foxhall’s Mill property owned in 1670 by Major William Underwood , were in operation in 1729 and later. So far as is known, Col. William Underwood erected the first Mill on what is today known as Bristol Creek (which divides present-day King George and Westmoreland Counties), sometime between 1658 when the land was patented to him, and 1662-3, when he died. Over the next sixty-odd years, the mill changed both hands and names a number of times. It is located in what is now known as King George County.